Tuesday, September 24, 2013

KL - Read by Example

As a mother of two, I so want my boys to be book geeks.  When baby boy #1 came along, my husband and I almost always had a book in hand reading to him.  Then baby boy #2 came along, and #1 was in full-blown toddler mode.

I’ll be honest, I haven’t sat down with him and a book nearly as often as I should.  I’ll be even more honest in the fact that I keep the television on a whole lot more than I ever thought I would.  I’m a reading teacher for crying out loud!

Against all odds, both boys love books.  If #2 ever gets really quiet, I can usually find him sitting in the floor flipping through one of many board books scattered through the house.  My #1 likes books and stories in all shapes in sizes.  His current fad is a Jack and the Beanstalk book app on my Nook.

Maybe it is just part of their genetic make-up.  Hubby and I are both avid readers.  Most nights will find us reading to wind down from the day.  His preferred reading materials are news and outdoors magazines.  Of course, I’m a fiction junkie.

What we read is really of no importance.  I could be reading cereal boxes and junk mail.  The point is, that we read, and we read often.  Reading to your kids is special, important, and a time of great bonding, but reading by example will instill a legacy of reading in your children.  If you don’t believe me, just ask my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment